Sciatica It is one of the common health problems affecting millions of people around the world. This condition causes pain, discomfort, paralysis and severely affects the quality of life of sufferers. Yoga is considered as an extremely effective exercise method to relieve sciatica pain.
In this article, we will explore together 5 simple and easy to practice yoga moves that help relieve sciatica effectively.
Why Yoga Helps Relieve Sciatica
- Reduce stress: Yoga helps reduce stress and anxiety, helping the body and mind relax and let loose. This helps relieve pressure on the sciatic nerve and relieve pain.
- Enhance blood circulation: Yoga movements activate muscles and increase blood circulation, which helps deliver nutrients and oxygen to tissues and cells, helping to reduce inflammation and pain.
- Improved flexibility and power up: The regular practice of Yoga improves flexibility and increases the strength of the muscles, especially those related to the sciatic nerve. This helps relieve stress and pressure on the sciatic nerve and relieves pain.
5 movements to relieve sciatica pain
1. Baby Yoga Pose (Child Pose)
- Lower your buttocks toward your heels, open your thighs slightly, and extend your arms forward. Lie down, breathe evenly and slowly for 5 breaths.
- Gently move your hands to the right side, holding for 5 breaths.
- Continue moving your hands to the left, holding for 5 breaths.
2. Cat and Cow Pose (Cat and Cow Pose)
- Inhale – push your belly and chest down, create a curve in your back, gently lift your chin.
- Then, as you exhale, curl your back upward, drawing your chin toward your chest.
- And so repeat 5 times in this position will help your back more flexible.
3. Bird and Dog/Balancing Table
- You should support on 2 hands and 2 knees, 2 knees open with 2 shoulders. Knees and hips keep in line, wrists and shoulders in line, back in neutral position. Open your fingertips slightly and keep your hands firmly on the floor. Inhaling you will straighten your right arm forward and your left leg back.
- Exhale you will bring your knees to your chin, elbows to your stomach. Repeat this movement 5 times and switch sides for 3 sets.
- This pose will help strengthen your back, abdomen, buttocks and hamstrings, leg ligaments, and help you reduce lower back pain.
4. Sphinx pose (Sphinx pose)
- Leaning on your forearms, slightly open your shoulders and chest. (If you feel uncomfortable, you can knit your forearms and lie on your forearms), take 5 breaths evenly.
- Gently move your forearms to the right, breathing evenly for 5 breaths.
- Move your hands to the left side, take 5 breaths evenly.
5. Yoga postures lying on the legs
- Lie close to the ground, straighten your right leg toward the ceiling, then grab your leg with your hand and straighten it.
- If your ligaments are stiff, you can hold your calves and adjust your legs towards your body.
- Or you can use a string or towel to hook it up and hold it.
- Breathe evenly for 5 breaths, then switch sides.
Some other home remedies
- Regular exercise: Regular exercise improves blood circulation and reduces inflammation in the body, which helps relieve pressure on the sciatic nerve and relieve pain. However, it is advisable to choose gentle exercises such as walking, swimming or yoga to avoid causing further injury.
- Full rest: Adequate rest helps relieve pressure on the sciatic nerve and relieve pain. Take frequent breaks and keep your feet resting in a comfortable position.
- Massage: Massage helps to relax muscles and relieve pain. Massage techniques should be gentle and not too strong to avoid doing sciatic nerve damage.
- Reduce stress and anxiety: Stress and anxiety can cause sciatica. Practicing yoga or deep breathing techniques helps reduce stress and anxiety.
Nguyen hopes that the above sharing will be effective and useful for sciatica. Besides, there are also many articles on health and yoga therapy at Nguyen's blog, especially Youtube channel Nguyen has many other useful exercises and movements, please follow and look forward to Nguyen!