Phenomena short of breath, short of breath happening at an alarming rate at all ages. Almost all of us have experienced at least one episode of shortness of breath. So how to prevent danger when suffering from this situation, and what is How to treat shortness of breath? at home? Let's find out with Nguyen in this article!
Can shortness of breath, shortness of breath be treated at home?
Shortness of breath is divided into 2 main levels: acute dyspnea (occurs suddenly, lasts for a short time), and chronic dyspnea (lasts several weeks or longer). Therefore, the treatment will be based on the stage of the disease of the patient.
For those who do not often have shortness of breath (mild acute), it is completely possible to improve this condition at home with natural and safe methods such as Yoga, or other sports.
But it must be noted that in chronic cases, shortness of breath, prolonged and frequent shortness of breath is a sign of a health emergency. At this time, it is necessary to see a doctor to accurately diagnose the cause and treat according to the doctor's instructions, not take it lightly and only treat it at home.
How to cure shortness of breath, shortness of breath quickly at home.
1. pursed lips breathing
This is a simple way to manage panic breathlessness, COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) or hyperventilation (an imbalance between inhalation and breathing).
Pursed-lip breathing slows down your breathing, making each breath deeper and more efficient. It also helps to release trapped air in your lungs. You can use it whenever you feel short of breath. Especially while you experience shortness of breath during an activity such as bending over, lifting objects, or climbing stairs.
- Relax your neck and shoulder muscles.
- Slowly inhale through your nose for two counts, keeping your mouth closed.
- Pinch your lips as if you were about to whistle.
- Exhale slowly and gently through pursed lips to a count of four.
2. Stand with your back to the wall
Standing can also help relax your body and airways, and will create more space in your chest for your lungs.
- Stand near the wall, face away, and rest your hips against the wall.
- Keep your feet shoulder-width apart and place your hands on your thighs.
- With your shoulders relaxed, lean forward slightly and swing your arms in front of you.
3. Sleep in a comfortable position
When you have shortness of breath, shortness of breath, you will also feel like you are suffocating while sleeping. This can lead to frequent awakenings, reducing the quality and duration of your sleep. The right sleeping position will help the body and airways relax, making breathing easier.
Lie on your side with a pillow between your legs and raise your head with the pillow, keeping your back straight. Or lie on your back, with your head elevated and knees bent, with a pillow under your knees.
3 ways to cure shortness of breath by yoga breathing.
1. Abdominal breathing exercise (also known as diaphragmatic breathing)
In a sitting or supine position:
You will place one hand on your stomach and one hand on your chest. You will breathe slowly and deeply to feel your belly move up when you inhale and your belly sink when you exhale. Do 10 breaths and gradually increase to 20, and 30 breaths to feel better.
Note: Inhale through your nose and you can exhale through your nose or mouth. However, practicing breathing through your nose will be much better for you.
In the prone position:
- You can lie on your elbows. Or knit 2 forearms together and rest on 2 forearms. For those of you who feel back pain or a little stiff back, lying on your forearms will be more suitable for you.
- Breathe deeply and breathe slowly. To feel the movement of your diaphragm and abdomen better. You can put one hand just below the abdomen to feel the movement of the abdomen.
- Do 10 breaths and gradually increase to 20, and 30 breaths to feel better. Inhale through your nose and you can exhale through your nose or mouth. However, practicing breathing through your nose will be much better for you.
2. Breathing Exercise (Also known as Kumbhaka)
Holding your breath or holding your breath helps:
- Diaphragm training
- Increase lung mobility
- Helps purify the lungs
- Bringing more oxygen into your body and organs, helping you breathe better, your body feeling healthier.
First, sit in a comfortable position. You can sit on the floor or, if you want to feel more comfortable, lean against a chair or sit against a wall. If a sitting position is not an option, you can also lie on your back.
This exercise will have a 1:1:2 breathing structure. Means how long you inhale for you will hold your breath for the same time and exhale for twice the time. For example, you inhale for 3 seconds, then hold your breath for 3 seconds and exhale for 6 seconds. You can shorten the time by breathing in for 2 seconds, holding your breath for 2 seconds and exhaling for 4 seconds.
Note: You can vary the amount of time with yourself. If inhaling for 3 seconds, holding your breath for 3 seconds and exhaling for 6 seconds is too difficult. You can shorten the time by breathing in for 2 seconds, holding your breath for 2 seconds, and exhaling for 4 seconds.
3. Fire breath (Kapalabhati)
This breath will help purify the airways, increase the functioning of the lungs and diaphragm, help you breathe better and the body better exchange gases.
- You should do this breathing in a sitting position. You can sit on the floor, sit against the wall or sit on a chair.
- With the fire breathing exercise, you will breathe in through your nose and out through your nose. You will inhale quickly and exhale forcefully as if you were trying to get out of your lungs.
- For beginners, you can start at a slow pace and gradually increase the speed as you feel comfortable.
- Start with 10 breaths and gradually increase to 20, and 30 breaths at a time.
With this breath, please note that we should not do it if you are dizzy, have a headache, have just eaten or drank water. We should only do this breathing exercise when the stomach is empty and comfortable. In addition, for those of you with high blood pressure, we should not do this breathing exercise.
Notes when treating shortness of breath, shortness of breath at home
Regardless of the degree of shortness of breath, shortness of breath. If using the above methods and the condition still does not improve or continues to get stronger, you should see a doctor immediately, not try to treat yourself with natural, normal methods at home.
In particular, you should go to the medical examination and treatment agency or see a specialist if breathing difficulty is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- Swelling in your feet and ankles
- Shortness of breath when lying on your back
- High fever, chills and cough
- Wheezing sound when you breathe
- The sound of gasping when you breathe
Nguyen hopes that his sharing will help you improve and reduce shortness of breath and shortness of breath effectively at home. In addition, Nguyen has many posts Health and Yoga Therapy. Everyone please support and look forward to Nguyen in the near future!